Our volunteers visit families weekly offering support, friendship and practical help. As parents you may feel in need of our help for all sorts of reasons. We help:
- Lonely or isolated parents
- Families with multiple births or several pre-school children
- Families where there is ill health or disability/special needs
- Families who have suffered bereavement
- Mums who have post-natal depression
- Families who are new to an area
- Families from all backgrounds
- Lone parents
If you have children under the age of 5 years you can register with us. Go to the contact us page to find ways of getting in touch with us.
How can a volunteer help?
A volunteer can:
- Give friendly support through difficult times for as long as is helpful or needed
- Be flexible - you decide with your volunteer when visits will happen and how you spend the time
- Be understanding - Home-Start volunteers are parents too!
Offer reassurance - all parents will feel overwhelmed at times, you are not alone!
- Offer a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, if needed!
- Give an extra pair of hands - provide the help and support you need to cope with more than one child when getting out and about is tricky.
- Guarantee confidentiality - information about you and your family is never disclosed to anyone outside Home-Start (except where a child may be at risk).
- You choose - families have the choice to accept Home-Start support or not. A volunteer will only visit at the invitation of the family.
What happens next?
Initially, you will be sent a registration form to complete and return to the office.
The coordinator will come out to meet you and discuss the registration and answer any questions you may have. At the next visit, which is the matching visit, you will be introduced to a volunteer, who will visit you an a weekly basis and support you throughout your time with Home-Start.
The organiser will contact you every 3 months to arrange a visit to review the service.
If you know a family who would benefit from the support of Home-Start Rossendale, Burnley and Hyndburn, please contact the scheme for a copy of our referral pack. We can send this electronically or by mail.